Tournament training starting Sunday 21 March!
We have three awesome tournaments approaching, and it would be brilliant to have as many Glendowie students compete and have fun as possible.
The three tournaments we’d love you to enter are:
- 2021 STAR Series tournament 1, Sunday 28 March 2021, Takanini;
- Auckland North Regional Tournament, Sunday 23 May 2021, Henderson;
- International Taekwon-Do National Tournament, weekend 5-6 June 2021, Tauranga.
To help you prepare, former World Champions Miss Kara Timmer and Mr Carl van Roon are hosting weekly training sessions at Hart Taekwon-Do Henderson to help you prepare. Don’t miss them! (To enter the National Tournament, you should attend as many of these training sessions as possible, to be selected for the team.) Sessions are 10:30am to 12:00pm on the following Sundays:
- 21st March
- 4th April (Easter Weekend, training still on)
- 11th April
- 18th April
- 25th April (ANZAC Day, training still on)
- 2nd May (for those not grading to black belt that weekend)
- 9th May
- 16th May
- 30th May
Due to COVID-19, ensure you sign in, and wash your hands before and after training. If you are unable to attend a session, notify the Region Manager, Miss Garin.
Remember that International Taekwon-Do tournaments have a range of events, so they are fun for everyone! (Note that some events are limited to particular grades or ages – see each tournament website for details.)
- Patterns – perform your patterns next to another student, in pyramid competition;
- Free sparring – score points by touching your opponent in a legal scoring area with your punches, strikes and kicks (free sparring equipment required for safety);
- Special techniques – perform flying kicks high in the air at hit targets for points;
- Power test – break boards with a range of basic movements to score the most points;
- Pre-arranged free sparring – work with a partner to create a routine of Taekwon-Do movements that is about a minute long, and compete against other teams in pyramid competition;
- Team event – the first four events can also be entered in teams of 5 people of similar grades, in patterns you choreograph one of the Taekwon-Do patterns with staggered movements, and in the other three events each person performs once out of five and total team points are calculated.
Full tournament rules are available on the national website here, and we cover elements of them in class.
Leave a Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.