Here are the details for our COMPULSORY tournament for Glendowie / Churchill Park / Kohimarama students only at Glendowie Primary School. (If your family is out of town, exceptions are possible.) This event is to HELP you, so do your very best to attend.
- Sunday 17 March, 9am-2pm;
- Glendowie Primary School;
- no cost (bring some cash for Mr Villiers’ fundraising);
- wear dobok, bring your sparring gear (if you have it);
- everyone should have a clear mouthguard;
- bring a bottle of water and your lunch.
The purpose of this tournament is to give everyone the opportunity to learn how tournaments and tournament events work. We won’t be competing for medals. Children will be trying each tournament event a few times, and parents will be learning by helping. The events are:
- Patterns (Kubz do Taekwon-Do movements in linework, white belts do saju jirugi and saju makgi);
- Free sparring (wear safety equipment, and score points by touching your opponent’s body or head with your punches and kicks);
- Special techniques (high flying kicks);
- Power test (hitting pads as far as you can, or breaking special children’s boards);
- Pre-arranged free sparring (do a demonstration with a friend).
Our own Mr Allister Villiers is competing at the ITF World Championships in Germany in April. He will be fundraising during this tournament. However, unfortunately Mr Villiers did not manage to arrange a sausage sizzle, so there will not be sausages or food for sale.
It is compulsory for all Glendowie students to enter the Auckland Regional Tournament (date and venue to be confirmed; or another regional or national tournament if you cannot make that date). This skills tournament is designed so our students know what to expect at the Regional Tournament.
For those who want to buy sparring gear, MightyFist will have some sets available at the tournament. Black vinyl gloves and boots together are $140. We will also try to have mouth guards available for sale (for around $10).
Depending upon how much parent and senior help we have, this event may finish before 2pm. Please do not drop your children and run, to collect them at 2pm.
Watch our Calendar page to keep abreast of coming events!