Remember the rules of the do jang
Hi Parents and Students
Please read these rules carefully. We expect all students to know and apply the rules of the do jang.
Rules of the do jang
The Taekwon-Do training area is called a do jang. Training safely is our top priority, and rules are important to minimise risks of injury. As a martial art, we also have rules of etiquette.
Prepare for training
- Ensure you are clean, and your finger and toenails are trimmed. Young adults and older should use a deodorant. Remove all jewellery (if it cannot be removed, tape it safely). Tie back long hair with a soft band.
- Ensure your dobok (training uniform) is clean and ironed, and your belt tied correctly. Your instructor may allow you to wear a white T-shirt beneath it.
- Arrive at least 10 minutes before class begins, and be prepared mentally and physically.
- Remind the instructor of any medical conditions you have.
- Ensure you pay all fees on time.
Enter the do jang
- Bow before entering or leaving the do jang.
- Allow seniors to enter first. Children allow adults to enter first.
- Remove footwear before entering, and store belongings in the designated area.
- Bow to the instructor, assistant instructor, and senior members. Children bow to adults.
- If you are late to training, move to the front junior-side of class and stand at attention until the instructor acknowledges you. Bow and move to the back of the class.
Inside the do jang
- Junior students prepare equipment before, and store equipment after class. Ensure there is seating for visitors.
- Keep the do jang clean and tidy. International Taekwon-Do is smoke-free.
- To tidy your dobok, turn to the left, away from the instructor.
- If you need to leave the do jang for any reason, approach the instructor or the side of the class and stand at attention. Await the instructor’s permission.
- Help the instructor and others carry equipment, bags and other items.
Working with others
- Treat everybody with courtesy – seniors and juniors. Address people by title, e.g. Sir, Ma’am, Dr (including after a question or answer).
- Obey the instructions of the instructor or seniors without delay.
- To address an instructor or senior, stand at attention, and wait to be addressed. Remain at attention, and bow before speaking.
- To ask a question in class, raise your hand. When the instructor addresses you, stand at attention and bow before speaking.
- The same rules apply to email, social media and other written communication.
A few things not to do
- Do not leave the do jang without the instructor’s permission.
- Do not argue with the instructor or seniors during training. Discuss the matter privately after class.
- Do not eat or drink without the instructor’s permission.
- Do not make any unnecessary noise or disturbance inside the do jang.
- Do not wear your dobok outside training or International Taekwon-Do events without your instructor’s permission.
Leave a Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.