Hi Parents and Students
Please read these rules carefully. We expect all students to know and apply the rules of the do jang.
Rules of the do jang
The Taekwon-Do training area is called a do jang. Training safely is our top priority, and rules are important to minimise risks of injury. As a martial art, we also have rules of etiquette.
Prepare for training
- Ensure you are clean, and your finger and toenails are trimmed. Young adults and older should use a deodorant. Remove all jewellery (if it cannot be removed, tape it safely). Tie back long hair with a soft band.
- Ensure your dobok (training uniform) is clean and ironed, and your belt tied correctly. Your instructor may allow you to wear a white T-shirt beneath it.
- Arrive at least 10 minutes before class begins, and be prepared mentally and physically.
- Remind the instructor of any medical conditions you have.
- Ensure you pay all fees on time.
Enter the do jang
- Bow before entering or leaving the do jang.
- Allow seniors to enter first. Children allow adults to enter first.
- Remove footwear before entering, and store belongings in the designated area.
- Bow to the instructor, assistant instructor, and senior members. Children bow to adults.
- If you are late to training, move to the front junior-side of class and stand at attention until the instructor acknowledges you. Bow and move to the back of the class.
Inside the do jang
- Junior students prepare equipment before, and store equipment after class. Ensure there is seating for visitors.
- Keep the do jang clean and tidy. International Taekwon-Do is smoke-free.
- To tidy your dobok, turn to the left, away from the instructor.
- If you need to leave the do jang for any reason, approach the instructor or the side of the class and stand at attention. Await the instructor’s permission.
- Help the instructor and others carry equipment, bags and other items.
Working with others
- Treat everybody with courtesy – seniors and juniors. Address people by title, e.g. Sir, Ma’am, Dr (including after a question or answer).
- Obey the instructions of the instructor or seniors without delay.
- To address an instructor or senior, stand at attention, and wait to be addressed. Remain at attention, and bow before speaking.
- To ask a question in class, raise your hand. When the instructor addresses you, stand at attention and bow before speaking.
- The same rules apply to email, social media and other written communication.
A few things not to do
- Do not leave the do jang without the instructor’s permission.
- Do not argue with the instructor or seniors during training. Discuss the matter privately after class.
- Do not eat or drink without the instructor’s permission.
- Do not make any unnecessary noise or disturbance inside the do jang.
- Do not wear your dobok outside training or International Taekwon-Do events without your instructor’s permission.