Glendowie skills tournament, 17 March
Block this date in your diary! On 17 March, we will have a tournament for Glendowie / Churchill Park / Kohimarama students only at Glendowie Primary School.
- Sunday 17 March, 9am-2pm;
- Glendowie Primary School;
- no cost (but Mr Villiers will be fundraising to attend the World Champs, so please bring some money);
- wear dobok, bring your sparring gear (if you have it);
- everyone should have a clear mouthguard;
- bring a bottle of water and your lunch.
The purpose of this tournament is to give everyone the opportunity to learn how tournaments and tournament events work. We won’t be competing for medals. Children will be trying each tournament event a few times, and parents will be learning by helping. The events are:
- Patterns (Kubz do Taekwon-Do movements in linework, white belts do saju jirugi and saju makgi);
- Free sparring (wear safety equipment, and score points by touching your opponent’s body or head with your punches and kicks);
- Special techniques (high flying kicks);
- Power test (hitting pads as far as you can, or breaking special children’s boards);
- Pre-arranged free sparring (do a demonstration with a friend).
It is compulsory for all Glendowie students to enter the Auckland Regional Tournament on Sunday 26 May at AMI Netball Centre (or another regional or national tournament if you cannot make that date). This skills tournament is designed so our students know what to expect at the Regional Tournament.
More details to come.
Watch our Calendar page to keep abreast of coming events!
Leave a Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.