Easter class for 5th gup, blue stripe
This class covers the blue stripe (5th gup) syllabus. Download the blue stripe syllabus sheet here. This class is suitable for children and adults. This class has:
- Warm up, 10 minutes;
- Fundamental movements, 20 minutes;
- Patterns, with guest instructor Master Rimmer, 20 minutes;
- Step sparring, 20 minutes;
- Warm down and stretch, 20 minutes.
You can do any of these classes up to your current grade, so red stripes and above have eight available classes here!
Warm up – we have used this joint rotations and dynamic leg stretches video before, so if you know it, just get into it.
This video covers fundamental movements for this grade. Practise for 20 minutes. Perform each movement many times, initially to get the technique correct, then add power.
Now practise the pattern for this grade, with guest instructor Master James Rimmer of Tauranga. Perform the pattern at least 6 times, trying to get better each time. Take difficult sequences out and practise them separately, then return to the pattern. Work on stances, sine wave, crossing, trajectories, finished positions, and power. Focus on one of these elements each time you do the pattern, and then put them all together at the end. Remember that you should start and finish on the same spot.
Let’s work on your step sparring. Practise each sequence 6-10 times, trying to get better each time. Use you syllabus handbook to remind you of each sequence. After you feel good about each sequence, put them all together, and repeat them all 4-6 times. Become familiar. Work hard.
We ran out of camera battery before we could record a video of 5th gup 2-step sparring. Here is the video for 6th gup 2-step sparring, and there is a short video afterwards that covers 5th gup 2-step sparring. The attacks are the same. Use the defences written in your pattern workout book:
- Walking stance inner forearm block, L-stance forearm low block, walking stance front elbow strike
- L-stance palm downward block, dodge to L-stance forearm guarding block, front foot reverse hooking kick
- Step back then right hooking kick, L-stance outer forearm inward block, step then twisting kick
And finally, warm down and stretch.
Leave a Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.