Are you ready for outdoor training?
Hi Parents and Students
If outdoor gatherings of up to 25 people are permitted, outdoor Taekwon-Do classes become viable. Schools are still off limits, so we would have to train in a public park. Options include Vellenoweth Green or by the pre-school in Kinsale Ave (below Churchill Park School).
If we move to outdoor training, we will announce it on our news page, and send it in our weekly email. We would most likely begin at the start of a week, rather than mid-week.
Please complete our survey to tell us how you feel about outdoor training. Are you ready? Our survey is available here.
With 2m social distancing, we would need an area of at least 12m x 12m (4 x 6 row, plus instructor). If more than 25 people attended, we would need to split the class into two groups, and run two separate bubbles. Parents would have to be outside this gathering, and watch from a distance.
COVID-19 guidelines do not require people to wear a mask while exercising, so wearing a mask is optional. We encourage students to do so.
We fully support COVID-19 vaccination, and we encourage all eligible members and families to be vaccinated. 64% of our members are under 12, ineligible for the vaccine, and it is important that those of us who are do what we can to protect our community.
Although we have not explicitly asked, most – but not all – of our eligible instructors and assistants have told us that they are vaccinated. Some of our students have, too.
If you are willing to tell us whether you are vaccinated, it would help us to know. We will hold the information securely (we store it on an external hard drive, not on the internet). You can obtain your own vaccination record here: https://app.covid19.health.nz/.
Outdoor training information:
- Wear dobok, sports shoes, sun hat, and sunscreen.
- Bring a bag with your training towel, drink bottle of water, syllabus book, notebook and pen, free sparring gear.
- We will not have access to toilets, so go before you come!
- If the forecast is for light showers, we might get wet.
- If the forecast is for heavy rain, I will send a broadcast email to notify everyone that the evening’s classes will be via Zoom.
Training times will be as follows:
- Children and junior grades (classes focused on material for white belts to yellow belts)
- Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, 5-6pm
- Adults and children above yellow belt
- Tuesday and Thursday, 6:00-7:30pm
- Taekwon-Do Kubz
- Saturday, 10-11am (we may resume 2 classes if numbers require)
- Parents and children (classes focused on material for white belts to yellow belts)
- Saturday, 11am-12pm
- Boosabum Development Squad
- Monday, 6:15-7:45pm
I look forward to getting together and training in person when we can!