Skills tournament events videos
Skills tournament 1 April
This term, we are holding a Taekwon-Do skills tournament on Saturday 1 April, from 9am until about 1pm, at Churchill Park School. It will be loads of fun, and a safe and fun way to try your Taekwon-Do skills! If this day is successful, we may make it a regular event.
- We will need help from students 13 years and above to run the event;
- All students aged 12 and below should compete (including Taekwon-Do Kubz);
- Junior grading fees include entry into the tournament;
- For other children, the entry fee is $25.
All competitors will receive a certificate to collect stamps or stickers that indicate their results in four events. All students will get two opportunities at every event. There are videos below, particularly for junior students, to show you what to do in each event.
- Patterns skills and patterns
- Free sparring drills and free sparring
- Special technique
- Power test
Our target will be for children under 9 to compete 9:00-10:30am, and children 9-12 to compete 10:30am-1:00pm. Please allow extra time in case we need more than the allotted time to complete each age group.
Patterns skills and patterns
Students will compete against each other two at a time. Yellow stripes and above will perform their own pattern in their first contest, and a random pattern in their second contest. Judges will choose the winning student.
- White and Taekwon-Do Kubz – forearm low block backwards and middle punch forwards, front snap kick (video below);
- First green – knifehand low block backwards and inner forearm middle block forwards, front rising kick (video below);
- First blue, and students more junior 9-12 years – saju jirugi, front snap kick, front rising kick;
- First red and black – saju makgi, front snap kick, front rising kick.
Free sparring drills and free sparring
Students will compete against each other two at a time. Those with free sparring gear will free spar for one round of two minutes. Those without free sparring gear will perform free sparring drills to pads. Judges will choose the winning student.
- White, first green to first black, and Taekwon-Do Kubz – footwork, side kick and punches (video below);
- Yellow stripes and yellow belts, and capable students 9-12 years – various sparring drills according to skill level (video below).
Students will perform two techniques for height: flying high kick, and flying high side piercing kick. Students will be grouped by height, and then have two attempts per technique to reach the minimum height. Those who are successful can attempt the next height. The shorter group will start flying high kick at 1 metre; the taller group will start at 1.5 metres. Green belts and above will be in a separate division starting higher. See the video below.
Students will perform two techniques for power. Those below green belt will hit pads for distance with forefist punch and side piercing kick. See the video below.
Those green belt and above will attempt boards with front elbow strike and side piercing kick. Students will have two attempts at each technique.
Taekwon-Do Kubz grading
The Taekwon-Do Kubz grading will take place during the tournament. Taekwon-Do Kubz will be asked their theory questions in front of parents, while other activities are happening.